Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Dia Veintitres – Un Buen Dia

8 de Junio del 2009

Hoy fue un buen dia. Pero primera, yo olvidé algo importante anoche. Anoche, Costa Rica tuvo its national presidential election. Laura Chincilla won against Johnny Araya in a 53%/43% not-so-tight race. Fue muy divertido ver en la noticias. Yo pienso it is interesante que elections are muy similar and just as much (Si no mas) fun to watch when you have no idea who the candidates are. (Well, that’s not entirely true, I knew Laura was “firm and honest” because of her extremely repetative TV ads.) Anyway, twas muy divertido.


Nosotros tuvimos un nueva profesora hoy. Ella es muy buena professora y nosotros pensamos que vamos a aprender muchas esta semana. Nosotros tenemos un nueva classmate as well. Since Noah left us, Alex joined our class. Alex just recently graduated from college and works as an English teacher for CPI. He came down to Costa Rica to spend time with his novia, but apparently they broke up while he was down here y ahora él esta aqui solo por el trabajo.


I am starting to recognize a lot more words now. We have a list of about 216 verbs total that we have been given over the past tres samanas and they are finally beginning to gel in my brain to the point that I recognize that I know un palabra even if I can’t always recuerdo its meaning. That’s is both good and bad. Good because it is finally starting to happen. Bad because it is only just now starting to happen. I realized today that in beginning my fourth week, I will be halfway done in two weeks. Yo no siento anywhere near having learned half the amount of Spanish I want to mientras yo esta aqui. Diez semanas is a long time...but it is also an incredibly short time. I need to work harder and learn faster. As much as I am going to miss Noah, his leaving is probably a good thing for me because he was both 1. Someone who could speak English to me, and 2. Someone who could translate Spanish so that I would not have to struggle through myself but instead could rely on him to translate for me. I just need to spend more time speaking in, reading, and listening to español.


Mañana, yo voy a buscar en iTunes for some more musica en español and I might compro mas, porque mi collection is limited.


Here is a random thought: Mi mamá y papá (The accents, called tildes, are muy importante for these words porque without los tildes usted cambia the meaning to a verb that describes something newborn babies do when they are being fed and a noun of a food item that, in one form, most Americans eat with salt, pepper, and ketchup)...mi mamá y papá tico are often commenting on the heat saying, “hace muy calor” o “tengo muy calor.” I don’t know if it is just me, though, but I really don’t think it is that hot or humid here. The weather is pretty perfect and I don’t quite understand why the weather is so much warmer for them. Yo llevo pantalons largo cada dia y yo nunca piensío hace muy calor. Yo agree that it is warm, but not really :-/


Anyway, is all for today. One quick, very important announcement: Pixar’s Up comes out next week in Costa Rica! I am going to splurge and go see it ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there son. The learning will become exponential... you'll see : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Gregory,

    I can see quite a bit of growth, from your first week of words here and there to sentence fragments in multiple verb tenses.
    When you return home you will go from eating and breathing Spanish, (total immersion) to nothing. That's when you quickly loose so much of what you have learned. That is so frustration.

    Felicidad,

    Tia Gayle

    ReplyDelete