Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Dia Diez – I have a little amigo...

26 de Mayo, 2009

There is a cockroach that lives in my shower.


He is brown, about four inches long, and moves a little faster than Usain Bolt (I may stretching the truth a bit – I can’t say for certain if it is a “he”). Every night, when I prepare to take a shower, he is sitting on the floor. I scare him a little bit into running away and he doesn’t bother me. I think we’ve worked out an agreement that I won’t try to squish him if he doesn’t bother me during my shower.


Today was a tough day. We were assigned a huge amount of homework at school today. Memorization has never been a strong point of mine, and we were assigned to memorize ninety-six irregular verbs – most of which I had heard of only on Lunes. The irregular verbs, unlike regular verbs, all have different ways I need to conjugate them. There are eight groups with the verbs in each group following a similar pattern of conjugation. Anyway, we are supposed to have a quiz on the verbs today so I was working quite a bit.


Today was also the national championship soccer game between Heredia and Liberia. Noah and I had bought Heredia shirts yesterday (Heredia is the local team). Mauricio and Karla, as well as some of the members of Noah’s tico family actually had bought tickets and went to the stadium to watch the game. We stayed home to watch it with the rest of the family. (The game started at ocho de la noche and would last for quite a bit and I had homework, otherwise I probably would have tried to go to the stadium.)


Unfortunately, the game turned out poorly for Heredia. In the last game that I saw, they played extremely well. In this game, however, their goalie got a yellow card tackling a opposing forward and so Liberia got a penalty kick (which essentially was a free goal). Things went downhill from there. The most dangerous time for a team is the first two minutes after a goal is scored and that turned out to hold true. Shortly after the goal, Liberia was able to score another. Twenty minutes later, they scored one last goal. The game ended 0-3 and my tico family was a bit melancholy.


During the game, I had been working on typing up all the irregular verbs on my computer. I now have quite a nice list. :-) Now all I have to do is find a place to print it out or spend a few hours transcribing it to paper.


After the game I went to bed. It is late and I need to get up early tomorrow.


I like my Heredia camiseta. I will make it my soccer shirt when I come back to the states. :-)


A cockroach lives in my shower. I think I will name him fluffy.

1 comment: