Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Dia Dos - Huevos y Heredia

18 de Mayo, 2009

I had eggs for breakfast this morning. And coffee. For those who know me, you can probably guess that it was not exactly the breakfast I would have chosen for myself en mí casa en los Estados Unidos. Pero mí tico familia es so wonderful, how could I even think of showing the least bit of anything but full enjoyment of la comida? Shouldn’t it be that way all the time anyway? I can’t honestly say I enjoyed breakfast...pero shouldn’t we always be truly grateful for any comida we get to eat? Many personas around the world do not eat as well; intellectually I know any comida should be muy welcome. I don’t always feel it though. At least I can try my best to act like I feel it and intellectually recognize it. :-/ Anyway, I must eat huevas muy despacio, too rápidamente y I feel muy mal.


Hoy was mí primero dia at la escuela. Benjamin, Noah, Rodrigo (Noah’s familia’s padre) and I caminamos a la escuela. The first half of la dia, from como siete y veinte to como nueve y cuarenta (from what I understand, the word “como” is used to like “about”/“ish”. Thus, “como siete” is “about/around seven.”) was a placement test and orientation. We first took a multiple choice placement test. I knew I needed to start at the beginning so I didn’t lose too much sweat over it. I crossed off what I knew (or thought I knew) was incorrect and guessed on the remaining options. After the multiple choice test, they had us come in for a speaking test where I was interviewed for a few minutos. While they were processing my scores in order to assign me a clase, they gave us an orientation. This consisted menos of actual new information that was on the package of materials that the escuela sent us, and mas de advertising for all the tours and activities that they provide for free...and the ones that, of course, you have to pay extra for. Tarde, I was assigned a professor and started classes. CPI has a muy bueno student/teacher ratio. There are soló cuatro estudiantes en mí clase y uno es Benjamin. El professor es muy patient with me  y mí amigos, though because he chooses to speak soló español except when absolutely necessary, it is sometimes hard to understand what it is he is asking us to do. Because of this, homework is a little defacil to comprende.


After classes ended, I went and connected to the internet for the first time in Costa Rica. Mí madre saw me immediately and IMed me even before I could change my status message from “Packing” to “En Costa Rica.” Internet is a little shakey here. The speed is muy bien but the stability is not always ideal. I spent no muchas tiempo on the internet and soon Noah and I decided to head out for lunch (Benjamin wanted to stay and keep working on the internet). Noah and I went into town and ate at a place called “Pollo sus amigos” – it had fried chicken. Dos pieces de pollo, y frutas, y root beer, y tortillas, todos por less than cuartro dollars. We had to head back quickly after lunch because we wanted to catch the 2:30 tour of Heredia. We wanted to get to the supermarket but we will have to do that tomorrow. 


We went on a tour of Heredia, the city nearby San Juaquín de Flores, and it was very interesting. We went to a fruit stand and tried fruitas that I had never seen before in mí vida. Most were very good, a few were...interesting. ;-) Then we went and tried an extremely fried quesadilla con queso. Grease was litterally dripping off the napkin I was holding it in. After trying all these new foods, our guides brought us to a church, y a historic casa, all over. It was raining cats and dogs though and everyone, even those who had a paraguas got soaked.


After the tour, which took about tres horas, I came back to mí tico familia y sus casa. We had beans, rice, y pollo for dinner. It was very good. They drink a lot of Coca-Cola in the house and the only thing stopping me from an extreme sugar high is me saying “la comida es bueno, pero yo esta lleno.  No mas por favor, gracis.”


Anyway, mí tico familia es amazing and wonderful. La professor y el escuela es amazing y wonderfu. Finally, Costa Rica generalmente es amazing y wonderful. I am looking forward to another day with great anticipation and excitement...okay, well maybe not so much for eggs. ;-)


P.S. I'm uploading some photogarfias on Facebook as soon as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment