Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dia Tres – What is this Feeling?

May 19, 2009

It’s a weird feeling but I can’t really see myself getting bored of living like this for ten weeks. Usually, I can recognize when I will get bored after a while. This past Spring Break for PHC, I lounged around, did very little, and got bored–eagarly awaiting for escuela to start again. That’s why I prefer three/four day weekends to week long breaks. What is worse, though, is that for break I knew I was going to get bored, I could feel myself on that path at the very beginning. It is muy differentia here, yo no tengo that same feeling. There isn’t much to do aqui pero habla to people, do a little homework (practically nothing compared to PHC), keep my stuff organized, and eat. I’m on the internet for less than dos horas cada dia, y more like 30 minutes. I check my mail, my facebook, upload my blog post and any pictures I have and I sign off. I can practico my harmonica, write blog posts, read vocab words and look at fish in the tank. Alternatively, if I felt like it I could go into town, explore, and look for good restaurants pero porque it is always raining in la tarde after classes I can now say (after my experiences hoy) that it is ill-advised to go out walking around town in the afternoon. The weird thing, though, is that this doesn’t feel like a case of boredom setting in. My dias are relaxed–I do the work that needs to be done but am not overloaded–pero not in the least way uninteresting (to me anyway). I guess I can only hope this feeling stays the whole ten weeks. (This paragraph was kind of a random comment. I just find it a little odd to have a distinct feeling of not being bored. Anyway, yet again you can probably tell these posts are not edited with scrutiny at all. I basically just write whatever pops into my mind :-/).


Today in class we went over more verbs. Nosotros practicamos conjugating verbos for los verbos de AR, ER, y IR. The concepts are simple, it is the application and practice that is hard. After classes, many of the students go back to speaking English, which is fine I guess, pero most of the time I want to practice the español I just learned so it is un poco defacil for me to not default back to English while still not being rude. Partially because of that, I tried to get back early to la casa de mi familia tico. It seems like generalmente (I was about to say most of the time, but only having been here three days, I can’t really give analysis related to tiempo, pero soló analysis related to the numero de los estudientes y what I gather), the students don’t go home until later in the afternoon/just before dark. There were some dancing lessons starting right after class that I wanted to take, pero after that and getting lunch, I wanted to get to la casa right away. 


The dance lessons were interesting. I recognized a lot of moves very similar to swing y just barely different. Either the instructor or myself, however, was horrible off-beat. I know mi hermano Stephen would probably habla that I was off-beat, pero soy almost positive that I was correct. I think the instructor was slowing down a little to show the moves more clearly...but in the process led the group to be just off enough so that it drove me crazy. It was fun though, mi gusto bailando. (Just FYI, I do not mean to complain at all here, I think it was great, I’m just describing whatever I think of while I am remembering.)


After the dancing lessons, I met with Noah and Benjamin who had gone out for lunch. I hadn’t eaten yet and they were wanting to wrap up some business (with the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child being introduced, I know that Noah has a ton of stuff he needs to do for the Parental Rights organization, Benjamin was also working on quite a bit). Porque yo tengo hambre, I left them to catch a bite to eat and head home. As I started out, it started to rain.


So far it has rained every day. Siempre dia in the afternoon (Storm’s description of a 2pm sharp rainshow is almost exactly right. It rains, often and hard. Before grabbing a bite to eat, I stopped by el supermarcado to buy some tissue and some agua. I needed the tissue, for the agua all I really needed was a big bucket for me to stand with outside. Simply walking a few hundred meters across town (it’s a small town) and I was soaked. Well, my shoes and the bottom of my pants, my umbrella protected me from the rain above me, it was the puddles and the bounce factor (raindrops hitting the floor and bouncing up). When I got home, I had to take my soaked shoes and change into drier ropas. My conclusion from hoy’s excursion is never to try to get somewhere in the afternoon; you will either not end up going or stick it out and get soaked.


When I got back, I did homework, ate dinner, and sat around and talked with the familia. That sentence has basically been my life for the past seis horas. I love it. Y I would never trade it for unlimited free internet access. There is so much more to write, but soy cansado y yo tengo diez semanas to escribo. ;-) Hasta la vista!

No comments:

Post a Comment